Wednesday 26 March 2014

BAD BOY, WHAT YOU GONNA DO WHEN THEY COME FOR YOU? WELL, SETTLE OUT OF COURT, SURELY...

I don't have anything particularly insightful to add to the various articles that have discussed the giant tech wage fixing scandal.

For myself, I liked that piece by Pando and that one by Mother Jones.

But the reason I am writing is to notice the fact that, so far, almost no one on the right of the spectrum has had anything to say at all about this.

This pisses me off because, when it comes to asylum fraudsters, benefit cheats and even just perfectly legal unionising, the concert of conservative voices explaining us how wrong liberals are is deafening. We're interfering with free markets, we are subsidizing indolence, the safety net is now a hammock nurturing every vice etc etc.

When it comes to the rich abusing their power and seeking to evade the consequences of free markets, not a pip. And they wonder why people in continental Europe equate 'liberalising markets' with 'fucking us over'?!

God, I really do hate hypocrisy. I truly wish there was one honest conservative out there who would unequivocally condemn the thievery done by the powerful.

But, to me, this reflex seems quite in keeping with the same attitude that made a lot of westerners criticise Ukrainian crowds in Kiyv courageously overthrowing a thieving, corrupt autocrat. As if some people could not conceive of the powerful being guilty.

I am not sure this is what the Bible meant by "whoever has will be given more; whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them" but, in this world, it seems ever truer that the rich get richer and the poor stay poor...




No comments:

Post a Comment